Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Recovering...

My recovery has been going well, I think. I was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday in the late afternoon. The ride home was awful - they had given me a big dose of Percocet and an iron supplement - for the about-3-mile-drive, David had to stop twice because my whole world was spinning and swirling. We finally arrived home, to a house that had been cleaned by friends from church! What a wonderful blessing when I was going to have guests in town and our house just wasn't ready for that! I tried to get some sleep and rest while my sweet husband went to pick up medications and take care of me, while also trying to catch up on being gone from his work for 2 full days (and worried about his wife the whole time!). I tried to take it easy on Wednesday, but also catch up on emails and keep some food in my system.


On Thursday, it was another slow day with just a few "emergency" emails to address - the rest could wait! My dad decided to come down from Chicago to check on me :) and to help out if we needed anything. He arrived in the evening with tons of food his wife, Diane, had made for all of us, which was a great help...and proved to be many meals for all of us over the next few days. The next day, one of my favorite roommates from college, Laurie, arrived for her weekend visit with us and another favorite roommate, Kim, who lives nearby. We actually managed to get out of the house (!) and spend some time with Kim and her family for the afternoon! Not bad on the 3rd day after surgery!

My goal was to move around as much as I could and get through the rough spots. Anyone who has had surgery knows that part of the battle is crazy muscle soreness, so I figured, "The sooner I move and the more I move, the faster I'll feel better!"

Below is a self-portrait of bandages after surgery. Things are a little out of scale and if you don't want to see, now is the time to stop scrolling. :) But, alas, these were the incisions I got to deal with just as my tummy is starting to grow....

No comments:

Post a Comment